1. Check in at Heller Highwater.
2. Enjoy the fine weather – all over the damned country!
3. Full caff, two extra shot latte at Peet’s. And make it fast dammit!
4. Laptop fully charged to work on job listings and plot strategy while enjoying said latte.
5. Call Walgreens and place order for prescriptions. For NO REFILLS, call doctor’s office. Tell answering service situation and try to get approval. STAT!
6. Map out finances. Check out Little Steps: 100 Great Tips For Saving Money For Those Just Getting Started. Act like these are your salad days. It is a long winter and could be months before things really pick up. Seriously.
7. See if certain things can wait until the last week of the year. Property taxes due? What would happen between now and 12/31 if they weren’t paid? Probably just a small penalty and interest right? Sock that money away now, pay taxes right before 12/31, and still reap the income benefits next spring.
8. Call your mother. She worries.
9. Spread the love. While it is all well and fine to look out for #1, check in on your colleagues. And I mean laterally and up and down. Secretaries call your attorneys and say, “Do you need anything?” If they hear that on a weekend you will be a god or goddess in their eyes. Attorneys – don’t wait for the next Secretaries Day (or whatever the PC term is these days . . .) to tell him/her how much you appreciate them. We are all in this together.
10. Take care of yourself: glass of wine, hot tub divine. Dinner out but on the cheap. Call a friend, make some new ones.
And BTW – remember that Boss’s Day is coming up October 16th. Buy something special for Heller Ehrman management.