This information was passed on to us by Dwight Moody, an ex-Hellerite who is now working in the San Francisco office of Ropes & Gray. Thanks Dwight!
We are currently looking for an experienced Litigation Legal Secretary. Applicants must have knowledge of the Litigation processes in order to assist legal staff with pleadings from summons and complaints thru discovery documents to briefs and appeal briefs which includes table of contents, table of authorities and styles. This role will provide administrative assistance to firm’s legal staff as well as Ropes & Gray clients utilizing skills in word processing, transcription, telephone communication, filing system maintenance, calendar and travel scheduling and other duties as assigned.
* Opens, sorts and prioritizes mail for assigned legal staff.
Works cooperatively with identified team members, both legal and non-legal.
* Creates and maintains desk information sheet and is knowledgeable about desk information sheets of team members.
* Becomes proficient in firm billing software, Elite Billing with includes Carpe Diem, PreCost. Prepares and processes attorney bills from inception to completion, ensuring that they are distributed to the client.
* Performs routine to complex filing. Develops and maintains filing systems. Maintains electronic files within firm-licensed software.
* Prepares correspondence, memoranda and other legal and non-legal documents in an accurate and timely manner. Spell checks and proofreads each documents for content and context.
* Professional demeanor in all communications.
* Becomes proficient with office procedures and keeps current with policy manual, procedure manual and non exempt staff handbook.
* Remains flexible and responsive to firm’s operational needs.
* Provides overflow and team coverage throughout the firm at the direction of the Supervisor.
* Participates in firm initiatives. (Programs include PIP, training, professional development, focus groups.)
* Organizes daily calendar of assigned legal staff, coordinates conferences and arranges outside travel.
LITIGATION ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
* Knowledge of Litigation processes. Assist legal staff with pleadings from summons and complaints thru discovery documents to briefs and appeal briefs which includes table of contents, table of authorities and styles.
* Track information in databases relating to document production and privilege logs.
* Assist legal staff with file conversions including burning cds, creating pdf files and other formats for documents.
* Proficiency in general in firm licensed software as well as litigation -Litigation specific software.
* Participates actively in litigation- specific training programs.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS REQUIRED:
* Must have law firm litigation secretary experience
* Types 60 wpm. Proficient with Microsoft Office
* Excellent verbal, written, organizational and interpersonal skills
* Minimum requirement High School Diploma. 2 years work experience or 2 years secretarial school preferred
* Must demonstrate the ability to maintain strict confidentiality of the firm’s internal and external business matters.
* Ability to interact effectively with all levels of firm personnel, including management staff and support staff.
* Must be flexible and able to work under tight deadlines, handle multiple tasks, and respond quickly to changing priorities.
* Able to understand and work in a teamwork/collaborative style and environment.
* Must pay attention to details and have the ability to follow up and follow through.
* Ability to maintain professional demeanor in all situations.
* Reliable and punctual.
* Ability to work both independently or under specific direction.
* Ability to work effectively in a culturally and educationally diverse environment.
* Ability to work in a multi-office environment.
Normal office environment and schedule.
The above is intended to describe the general content of and requirements for the performance of this job. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of essential functions, responsibilities or requirements.
Apply online at the Ropes & Gray website: http://ropesgray.interviewexchange.com/jobofferdetails.jsp?JOBID=11845