JONES DAY SILICON VALLEY OFFICE
JUNIOR IP LITIGATION PARALEGAL
Job Title: Paralegal
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Reports To: Assigned Attorney(s), and Paralegals
Schedule: 9:00 – 5:30 Monday – Friday Overtime as required
General Summary: Under general supervision of assigned attorneys and their Group Administrator (or designee), and following prescribed Group, Office and Firm procedures, paralegals are assigned to work primarily on specific cases/transactions, or to support attorneys whose practice involves specific areas of law. Paralegals may also monitor regulations, legal developments and compliance procedures in their area of expertise. Paralegals provide general assistance to a project team of attorneys, including performance of tasks described below. In addition, paralegals may be asked to provide general supervision of project assistants and other clerical staff. Paralegals are expected to perform all job duties with a commitment to providing superior service to clients, producing quality work products and maintaining an atmosphere of teamwork and continuous improvement. Above all, paralegals must fulfill the needs of the Office in a manner which is consistent with the Firm’s visions and values.
QUALIFICATIONS AND DUTIES:
- 3-5 years experience in a large firm.
- Substantive knowledge of and familiarity with civil procedure in federal and California state court systems
- Experience with document intensive complex cases with documents in hard copy and/or in electronic formats
- Strong organization and time management skills, including the ability to organize self and manage junior staff on projects and across cases
- Strong analytical and research skills
- Experience in cite checking and Shepardizing briefs
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Familiarity with computer based word processing (Microsoft Word), spreadsheet (Excel) and database applications
- Familiarity with litigation support software including Summation iBlaze
- Ability to work independently, take initiative, set priorities, use good judgment and see projects through to completion
- Ability to work with a wide range of people in a team setting
- Willingness to learn
- Willingness to travel as required by the Group and/or client
- Commitment to quality and continuous improvement of skills and work product
- Proficiency on office equipment used on a regular basis including computers, printers, copy machines, fax machines, transcription equipment and telephones
- Strong service orientation
- Bend and twist at the waist.
- Climb/descend stairs or step stool.
- Ability to lift (i.e., office files, documents, binders), often repeatedly and at least 25 lbs.
- Duties performed may be in aisles, open areas and compact rooms.
- Duties are performed using repetitive finger, hand and arm movements.
- Duties require fine manipulation (typing).
- Duties require simple grasping (files, documents, telephone, writing instruments).
- Duties may require combinations of the above movements.
- Ability to sit for long periods of time.
- BA/BS or higher degree.
- Paralegal certificate or equivalent.
Salary commensurate with experience.
Submit resume and salary requirement to:
Rebecca Murray, HR Coordinator
1755 Embarcadero Road,
Palo Alto, CA 94303
Jones Day is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Applicants are considered for all positions without regard to race, religious creed, sex, color, national origin, ancestry, mental or physical disability (including AIDS and cancer-related medical conditions) unrelated to the job to be performed, marital status, sexual orientation or any other status or condition protected by law.